IST: Yoga classes for athletes - the science of sequencing
Tutor: Anthea Sweet
Date: 3rd November 2018
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Aims of the morning
- To develop teachers' understanding of the science of yoga in sport
- To explore key principles of sports-specific breathing
Objectives for the morning
- To introduce the context and value of yoga as a sport science
- To deliver an introductory yoga practice illustrative of athlete-specific yoga
- To introduce the relevancy of the science of breathing to class planning
Aims of the afternoon
- To explore key principles of sports-specific movement and sequencing
- To develop teachers' skills in managing athletes in class
Objectives for the afternoon
- To introduce the relevancy of the science of sports-specific movements to class planning
- To highlight the principles of successful delivery of yoga to athletes in class
- To deliver a yoga practice illustrative of the requirements of a specific sport
- Teaching Material Used On The Day
- Handouts (for breathing and movement/sequencing)
- Methods of presenting the subject
- Demonstration, visual material, handouts, group work, worksheet for aiding example class
About the Tutor
Anthea Sweet is a qualified BWY Diploma teacher and an Advanced Yoga Sports CoachTM . She is Head of Tutoring for Yoga Sports Science. Anthea has 13 years' experience of teaching classes and 1:1 yoga, specialising in posture and movement mechanics. She has completed Gary Carter's Anatomy Series and is also a qualified sports/remedial therapist treating sports injuries.
Outline plan for the day
- Opening practice: athlete foundation session
- Session on breathing including practice of various sports-specific breathing techniques
- Session on anatomical planes of movement, relevancy of posture to sport, sequencing
- Group work to practice lesson planning using key principles
- Closing practice: sequence specific to swimmers
Yoga Sport Science will provide a "BWY IST Room" within its online environment, so that teachers registering for the IST Day can access pre-course material including some handouts and pre-course reading and links.
Aimed at qualified teachers keen to develop their skills into working with athletes in a class environment.
Event organiser: Cambridgeshire county rep Gemma Skells
Hemingford Abbots Village Hall
If you are a BWY member please ensure you are logged in. To make a booking for this event please select a ticket type and then click send booking. Certain events are only available to specific member types, for example first aid days for teachers and student teachers so please logon first to see specific tickets.
If you have questions please contact the event organiser or webadmin using the regional contacts page.
Booking has closed for this event.