Judy has practised Yoga for many years and has been teaching Pre and Postnatal Yoga since 1996. It was while working as a nurse in Asia that she first became drawn to Yoga, when expecting her first child.
She gained enormous benefit from this practice which gave her the confidence to go on to have her second child at home. She trained initially in South India at the Sivananda Vedanta Ashram in Kerala.
She subsequently went on to train for a further 2 years with Janet Balaskas, Lolly Stirk and Yvonne Moore at the Active Birth Centre in London. It was at this time that she came to understand how a more intuitive approach to Yoga, based on the teachings of Vanda Scaravelli, could transform her practice.
She gained her Diploma in Teaching Yoga with the British Wheel of Yoga (BWY) in the late 1990’s and has also completed a Diploma in Baby Yoga with Birthlight, and Yoga for the Special Child at the Special Yoga Centre in London. She also has a strong interest in the use of hypnosis in childbirth and successfully set up a Breathing, Relaxation and Self-Hypnosis class within the NHS in 2011.
Judy is a qualified midwife, and runs her own classes in Yoga for Pregnancy, Couples Birth Preparation workshops, Postnatal and Baby Yoga. She also offers Yoga for the Special Child and HypnoBirthing and Birth Preparation on a private one-to-one basis.
As Lead Tutor for the Yoga Scotland 500 hour Teacher Training Diploma, Co-Director of the YogaBirth Teacher Training and Tutor for the BWY Pregnancy and Postnatal Modules, she has a deep interest in passing on her knowledge to other teachers.
Judy teaches in the Scottish Highlands and Perthshire and runs courses throughout the UK
• empower and prepare pregnant women for a positive birth experience
• support women in this voyage of discovery - using yoga to support that journey
What will the course cover?
• plan and teach yoga to pregnant women at different stages of pregnancy with reference to anatomy and physiology, and yoga philosophy
• the specific Guidelines for Safety as detailed by the British Wheel of Yoga. Students will have a working knowledge of these Guidelines and be able to incorporate them into their classes.
• a variety of yoga postures that address the needs of pregnancy, paying particular attention to postural awareness, the pelvic floor, managing fatigue, positions for labour, and encouraging babies into the best possible position prior to birth.
• identifying situations of special need, where referral to other agencies might be appropriate.
• students’ capacity to deal with another woman’s grief and loss - both compassionately and authentically.
• a variety of breathing practices that are focusing, calming and applicable to pregnancy and labour.
• several approaches to relaxation to support the pregnant woman.
• develop publicity, plan and teach a series of classes to a group of pregnant women.
Who Can Apply?
This 85 hour module is available to all yoga teachers holding a recognised teacher training of minimum 200 hours. Membership of the British Wheel of Yoga is required for the duration of the course - either by way of current membership or Guest Membership of £10.
Assignments and Assessment
Assessment during the course will involve some teaching to the group, presentations and worksheets.
A final teaching observation will be assessed by an BWY approved assessor
Venue Details and Registration
In the Moment, 72 Berkeley Street, Glasgow, G3 7DS
Day One: 11th April 2021 (Online)
Day Two: 12th June
Day Three: 19th June 2021
Day Four: Evening sessions online - Dates to be Confirmed
Day Five: 2nd October 2021 - In person
Day Six: 12th October 2021 - In person
If you are a BWY member please ensure you are logged in. To make a booking for this event please select a ticket type and then click send booking. Certain events are only available to specific member types, for example first aid days for teachers and student teachers so please logon first to see specific tickets.
If you have questions please contact the event organiser or webadmin using the regional contacts page.
Online booking is not provided for this event. To book, please email or call the Course contact above.