IST 19/28 - Yoga Classes for Athletes, the science of sequencing
Tutor: Anthea Sweet
Date: 22nd September 2019
Time: 09:30 - 15:30
Location: The Hub
Type of Event: IST Days
Places Available: 13
If you have any queries about this IST day, please contact the organisers:
Jacqueline Stevenson: email@example.com
Carol Alderton: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Tickets are available only to BWY members until two months before the event, i.e. the 21st July 2019
This day is aimed at qualified teachers keen to develop their skills into working with athletes in a class environment.
Yoga classes for athletes - the science of sequencing
About the Tutor
Advanced Yoga Sports CoachTM
Head of Tutoring for Yoga Sports Science
Anthea has 13 years' experience of teaching classes and of 1:1 yoga, specialising in posture and movement mechanics. She has completed Gary Carter's 'Anatomy Series' and is also a qualified sports/remedial therapies treating sports injuries.
Outline plan for the day
Opening practice: Athlete foundation session
Breathing: Including practice of various sports-specific breathing techniques
Anatomy: Anatomical planes of movement, relevancy of posture to sport, sequencing
Group work: Practice lesson planning using key principles
Closing practice: sequence specific to swimmers
Aims of the Morning
- To develop the teachers' understanding of the science of yoga in sport
- To explore the key principles of sports-specific breathing
- To introduce the context and value of yoga as a sport science
- To deliver an introductory yoga practice illustrative of athlete-specific yoga
- To introduce the relevancy of the science of breathing to class planning
Aims of the Afternoon
- To explore key principles of sports-specific movement and sequencing
- To develop teachers' skills in managing athletes in class
- To introduce the relevance of the science of sports-specific movements to class planning
- To highlight the principles of successful delivery of yoga to athletes in class
- To deliver a yoga practice illustrative of the requirements of a specific sport
Teaching Material Used On The Day
Handouts (for breathing and movement/sequencing)
Methods of presenting the subject
Demonstration, visual material, handouts, group work, worksheet for aiding example class p
Yoga Sport Science will provide a "BWY IST Room" within their online environment, so that teachers registering for the IST can access pre-course material including some handouts and pre-course reading and links.
If you are a BWY member please ensure you are logged in. To make a booking for this event please select a ticket type and then click send booking. Certain events are only available to specific member types, for example first aid days for teachers and student teachers so please logon first to see specific tickets.
If you have questions please contact the event organiser or webadmin using the regional contacts page.
Booking has closed for this event.