Tutor: Zoe Knott
Date: 14th November 2020
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Zoe Knott: Exploring Arm Balances
Initially intended as an IST day in Emsworth, with the current climate this is now a Zoom Live event and will count towards your CPD training days. Please ensure wall space is available for practicing assisted asana!
Aims of the Morning
1. How to approach arm balances in the safest way.
2. Areas that need to be strong; areas that need to be flexible.
3. How to incorporate relevant preparatory techniques into general class teaching.
4. A safe and accessible approach to Scorpion to give stages for teaching safely.
Those attending will:
1. Practice approaches to arm balances in the safest way.
2. Understand areas that need to be strong; areas that need to be flexible.
3. Learn how to incorporate relevant preparatory techniques into their general class teaching.
4. Prepare a safe and accessible approach to Scorpion to give stages for teaching safely.
Aims of the Afternoon
1. Why we should consider working in and teaching arm balances physically and esoterically while considering contraindications.
2. A safe and accessible approach to Firefly and give stages for teachers to give to their students.
Those attending will:
1. Understand why we should consider working in and teaching arm balances physically and esoterically while considering contraindications.
2. Learn a safe and accessible approach to Firefly and give stages for own teaching
Teaching Material Used On The Day
Handouts. These are emailed after the day.
Methods of presenting the subject
Demonstration, Discussion, Pairs (adapted for home study), Group Work, Class Work, Self-Discovery, Experiential, Short Lecture
About the Tutor
Zoe is a Diploma Course Tutor and also the DCT Training Officer.
Over 30 years of yoga practice with many different teachers from a variety of traditions has resulted in an eclectic style of teaching that has been influenced by all those she has worked with. Her fundamental approach is to build strength as the cornerstone of practice and from there all poses become possible. Asana are broken down and analysed. Zoe looks at the muscles that need to be strong or flexible and works in detail gradually building up the components of a pose.
Outline plan for the day
10.15 Preparatory work including Spine Mobilization, in Cat, Forearm Cat, Dog, Forearm Dog
11.15 Shoulder Stretches
11.45 Arm, Abdominal Strengthening
12.15 Arm Placement in Scorpion
12.30 Work with Wall in Forearm Dog Variations
12.45 Scorpion Pair work with Wall
12.55 Scorpion Pair work no Wall
1.05 Easing, Twists
2.30 Q&A, Discussion, Benefits, Contraindications, View of Experts
3.00 Hip work
2.50 Ham string stretching
3.15 Standing wide leg forward bends with hip opening.
3.30 Low Lizard (lunge variation)
3.20 Choice of stages of Firefly
3.30 Easing, Twists
Be sure to be bring blocks, belts and good humour to the workshop.......
If you are a BWY member please ensure you are logged in. To make a booking for this event please select a ticket type and then click send booking. Certain events are only available to specific member types, for example first aid days for teachers and student teachers so please logon first to see specific tickets.
If you have questions please contact the event organiser or webadmin using the regional contacts page.
Booking has closed for this event.