Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs
Tutor: Anna Semlyen
Date: 23rd June 2018
Time: 11:00 - 17:00
About the day
This is a one-day training course in the CORE A Sequence and pain relief poses in the Yoga For Healthy Lower Backs course devised by Alison Trewhela for a large, randomised, controlled trial of yoga for sufferers of chronic low back pain.
This IST day aims to teach yoga teachers to help students with low back pain within a general class situation, to modify postures for those in pain and to pass on the yoga trial results information.
This day has a number of aims, including to:
1. Present the methods and results of yoga research for sufferers of lower back pain conducted by the University of York from 2007 to 2010. (Details of results and resources - book, CD and short videos - are available at www.yogaforbacks.co.uk
2. Expand on the subject of lower back care yoga research with the use of articles and handouts.
3. Present practical teaching of the pain relief postures used in the trial for acute pain and to improve function, plus breathing and relaxation.
4. Present details on the anatomy of the back, prevalence and causes of low back pain.
5 Teach a practical lesson based on the CORE A sequence with appropriate hatha yoga practices for maintaining back health, including modifications, contraindications and placement of props, plus relaxation.
By the end of the day, participants will:
1. Understand how research was conducted and the results of the University of Yorks Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs trial.
2 Have considered and practised hatha yoga postures, breathing and relaxation practices to overcome acute lower back pain and improve function.
3 Be able to explain to students experiencing low back pain how to safely practice pain-relieving postures.
4. Be familiar with spinal anatomy and the basic diagnostic and yoga solutions for different types of back pain.
5. Have experienced CORE A yoga practices for Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs.
About the tutor
Anna Semlyen began yoga in 1990 and has been teaching since 1996. She qualified with BWY in 1999. She is co-author of Yoga For Healthy Lower Backs (Lotus Press) and Relaxations CD and a BWY specialist adviser on back care and therapeutic research.
Quality, colour photographic handouts will be given free. There is the option to buy the Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs book (16.99) and Relaxations CD (12.99).
Please bring your own lunch and usual yoga equipment. Drinks will be provided.
Early bird discount is available for this course provided you book and pay by Saturday, 12 May 2018.
Colwall Village Hall
If you are a BWY member please ensure you are logged in. To make a booking for this event please select a ticket type and then click send booking. Certain events are only available to specific member types, for example first aid days for teachers and student teachers so please logon first to see specific tickets.
If you have questions please contact the event organiser or webadmin using the regional contacts page.