The British Wheel of Yoga respects the privacy of our members and visitors to our websites. This policy is concerned with how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have.
We take our duty to process your personal data very seriously. This policy explains how we collect, manage, use and protect your personal data.
We may change this document from time to time to reflect the latest view of what we do with your information. Please check back frequently; you will be able to see if changes have been made by the date it was last updated.
Refer to the sections below for more details on how and why we use your personal information:
1. Who are we?
In this policy references to the British Wheel of Yoga, or BWY, or to ‘we’ or ‘us’ are to the British Wheel of Yoga which is a registered charity in England and Wales 1136674. A non-profit making company limited by guarantee. Registered in England No. 7030679 at 25 Jermyn Street, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 7UR.
2. What personal data we collect and how we use it
What we need
The British Wheel of Yoga is what’s known as the ‘controller’ of the personal data you provide to us. If you are a member or are supporting us financially, we will collect basic personal data about you like your name, postal address, telephone number, email address and your bank details.
Additional information about you may also be collected, e.g. date of birth, gender or health details. This will be made clear at point of collection such information and we would only do so with your specific consent and permission.
Why we need it
We collect your personal data in connection with specific activities, such as campaign updates, newsletter requests, registration or membership requests, product purchases, feedback, donations, competition entries, information you provide in public forums on our sites and applications.
The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable us to provide you with a more personalised service. You don't have to disclose any of this information to browse our sites. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
Sometimes, with your consent, we will process your personal data to provide you with information about our work or our activities that you have requested or are expecting.
On other occasions, we may process personal data when we need to do this to fulfil a contract or where we are required to do this by law or other regulations.
The BWY also processes your data when it is in our legitimate interest to do this and when these interests do not override your rights. Those legitimate interests include providing you with information on our training, membership, services, products, newsletter requests, feedback, competitions and other activities. Please see the section on 'Legitimate Interest' for more information.
How we obtain your details
We will also hold information about your details so that we can respect your preferences for being contacted by us.
We collect your personal information in a number of ways:
- When you provide it to us directly.
- When you provide permission to other organisations to share it with us (including social media networking or sites e.g. Facebook or Twitter).
- When we collect it as you use our website.
- When you have given it to a third party and you have provided permission to pass your information on to us.
- From publicly available sources (where possible) to keep your information up to date (e.g. the Post Office’s National Change of Address database).
We combine the information from these sources with the information you provide to us directly.
Building profiles of supporters
The BWY may make use of profiling and screening methods to produce relevant communications and provide a better experience for our members. Profiling can help us target our resources more effectively through gaining an insight into the background of our supporters and helping us to build relationships that are appropriate to their interests.
Please note that we will not knowingly market to or accept donations or orders for goods or services from persons aged under 18 years.
When you volunteer with the British Wheel of Yoga, we will keep you up to date with the work that we are doing and events we are involved with. We will also let you know of any changes that might affect you volunteering with us and which you need to be aware of. We will only use this information in relation to your volunteering with us and whilst you remain a volunteer with the British Wheel of Yoga. By agreeing to volunteer with the British Wheel of Yoga you are agreeing to us to sending you emails about volunteering and your volunteer role. We will on occasion share your email address with other British Wheel of Yoga volunteers, for instance in the process of organising an event you have chosen to attend.
All the personal data we process is processed by our staff in the UK however for the purposes of IT hosting and maintenance your information may be situated outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). This will be done in accordance with guidance issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you would like to change the way you hear from us or no longer wish to receive direct marketing communications from then use the contact form on our Contact Us
page or go to our online Permission Portal.
3. Legitimate interests
We have a number of lawful reasons that mean we can use (or 'process') your personal information. One lawful reason is something called 'legitimate interests'. Broadly speaking Legitimate Interests means we can process your personal information if:
- We have a genuine and legitimate reason.
- We are not harming any of your rights and interests.
4. Sharing your information
We only disclose information to third parties or individuals when obliged to by law, for purposes of national security, taxation and criminal investigations and the following:
- If you have agreed that we may do so.
- When we use other companies to provide services on our behalf, e.g. processing, mailing or delivering orders, answering customers’ questions about products or services, sending mail and emails, customer analysis, assessment and profiling, when using auditors/advisors or processing credit/debit card payments.
- To our subsidiaries (i.e. the companies owned by the British Wheel of Yoga).
- If we receive a complaint about any content you have posted or transmitted to or from one of our sites, to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions or if we believe that we need to do so to protect and defend the rights, property or personal safety of the British Wheel of Yoga, our websites or our visitors and for other lawful purposes.
- If we merge with another organisation to form a new entity, information may be transferred to the new entity.
- We may disclose aggregate statistics about our site visitors, members sales to describe our services and operations to prospective partners, advertisers and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics won’t include any personally identifying information.
- If we run an event in partnership with other named organisations your details may need to be shared. We will be very clear what will happen to your data when you register.
And, we will never sell your personal information to other organisations.
5. Retaining your information
We hold your information only as long as necessary for each purpose we use it, we will provide examples of some of our retentions in this paragraph soon to give you an idea of how long we hold your information for.
If you request that we have no further contact with you, we will keep some basic information in order to avoid sending you unwanted materials in the future and to ensure that we don’t accidentally duplicate information. Should you wish us to delete any retained basic information then please contact us.
View the BWY Data Retention Policy here
7. What are your rights?
A new data protection law, starting on 25th May 2018, gives everyone a number of very important rights. These are:
- Transparency over how we use your personal information (right to be informed).
- Request a copy of the information we hold about you, which will be provided to you within one month (right of access).
- Update or amend the information we hold about you if it is wrong (right of rectification).
- Ask us to stop using your information (right to restrict processing).
- Ask us to remove your personal information from our records (right to be 'forgotten').
- Object to the processing of your information for marketing purposes (right to object).
- Obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes (right to data portability).
- Not be subject to a decision when it is based on automated processing (automated decision making and profiling).
If you would like to know more about your rights under the data protection law see the Information Commissioners Office website
Remember, you can change the way you hear from us or withdraw your permission for us to processing your personal data at any time by using the form on the BWY member’s portal page or by contacting Central Office (details are at the bottom of this page).
8. How to contact us
Our data protection officer can be contacted by writing to:
Data Protection Officer
British Wheel of Yoga
25 Jermyn Street
Lincolnshire NG34 7RU
If you wish to talk to us about anything in the policy or the information we hold about you please contact Central Office:
- By telephone: 01529 306851
- By email: email@example.com
- By post: Central Office, British Wheel of Yoga, 25 Jermyn Street, Sleaford, Lincolnshire NG34 7RU
Please note that calls to Central Office may be monitored or recorded.
This document was last updated: May 2018